But We Trust in the LORD our God!


"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God" (Psalm 20:7, ESV).
 Depending on the translation, this verse reads differently. In the Literal Standard Version, for instance, this verse reads, "Some of chariots, and some of horses, | And we of the Name of our God YHWH | Make mention."

The meaning of the text isn't lost in either of these two translations. What it says to us today is easily applicable.

In the context of David's song, he is comparing the invincibility of Israel's God with all other forms of strength. His confidence in what God has done for Israel, what God is currently doing for Israel, and what God will do for Israel is heard clearly in the song. In verse six, David says with confidence: "These things I know for certain: that God gives victory to his people." He is able to do it. He has done it before - in the exodus from Egypt, in crossing the Red Sea, in destroying the walls of Jericho, in routing the enemies of the Promised Land - and he will always rescue his people in his time - from Roman emperors bent on persecution (the church endured), at the cross of Christ (he purchased his people for eternal life), at the last day (when he will effectively present all his people without spot or blemish, losing none of those for whom he died). The arm of the Lord, the arm of YHWH, God of heaven and earth, rules over all things!

When foreign kings ransacked Israel and Jerusalem, taking captives to serve in their foreign lands, the Israelites felt quite defeated (because they were). When foreign kings destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem, that was the worst. The book of Lamentations is full of just that: lamenting (songs of sadness) over the destruction of the Holy City.

Even so, foreign kings and invaders were no match for God when he decided to act on behalf of his people.

In the book of Daniel, there is a wonderful story of God's redemptive power when Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon, stood on the roof of his palace looking over his kingdom. He had already destroyed Jerusalem and taken Daniel into his house as a slave. As Nebuchadnezzar gloated over his accomplishments, God humbled him in an instant: for the next seven years Nebuchadnezzar ate grass like an ox, his hair grew as long as eagle's feathers, and his nails grew long and curled. God literally made him lose his mind in order to humble him. This mighty, earthly king was no match for the King of kings.

Recently, Wisconsin re-drew its state election districts. Forced to do so by the liberal majority of the Wisconsin Supreme Court, this will undoubtedly swing the control of Wisconsin from redish-purple to blue. I grow anxious thinking about it. Those in Illinois, Minnesota, and Michigan already know what it's like to live in a place governed by liberal politicians, but Wisconsin is entering into newer territory. Similarly, I had a dream last night that my wife, my parents, and I - along with hundreds of other "deplorables" - were led to the gas chambers. In my dream, my body fell to the floor as the gas entered my lungs. I closed my eyes expecting to die, but I didn't. Neither did my parents or my wife. My dad finally said to me in my dream, "You're not dead." So we all got up and were forced to go through the chamber two more times. Finally, I told my mom and my wife to pray because my dad and I were going to preach the gospel to the president. This was, of course, only a dream, but the principle still stands: God is more powerful than any ruler, any person, even death!

"When I am afraid I will trust in you. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" says David in another psalm. Some may trust in their political power, others in their pocket book. But for the Christian... oh, dear brothers and sisters, we trust in the Lord our God! YHWH lives forevermore! This I know: he will certainly take care of his own, no matter what comes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Someone Sick" Is Not a Moral Failure

Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet: Preparation for Holy Week

Scandal of Grace