Mistake Or Sin?

(Image courtesy of https://www.appellawyer.com.)

In the past couple of weeks, I have accidentally dented the bumper on the semi-trailer and backed into a farmer's milk house. I feel so bad for my accidents. It's a learning experience for me, certainly. Thankfully, farmers can be some of the most forgiving people.

Our sins are not like our mistakes or accidents. James 1:14 says, "But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire." I did not plan to back into things when I was driving, nor does anyone plan to have an accident or make a mistake. These things happen because we are clumsy or distracted or for some other reason. But sin is different. Sin happens when something inside of me is enticed - or attracted to something wrong because of my own fleshly desires. When we act on those inner, wrong desires, it is sin we have committed. Put another way: sin is always pre-meditated; mistakes are not.

This is important in our current cultural moment. Many people, even so-called pastors, equate sins with mistakes. While mistakes may warrant an apology, sin demands repentance - a remorseful apology AND a turning away from sin to the mercy of Christ.

When David sinned against God with Bathsheba, he was first desirous of a woman who was not his. Then, he acted on that wrong desire and committed adultery. When God confronts him through the prophet Nathan, David has the right response: "Have mercy on me, O God! Against you, you only, have I sinned!" (Psalm 51).

O God, please renew our desires for things that are good and right. Please give us great strength to withstand all kinds of temptations. Keep us on the straight path; your Word is our lamp. Thank you for the mercy we have in our loving Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Getting Someone Sick" Is Not a Moral Failure

Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet: Preparation for Holy Week

Scandal of Grace